Cadre Leadership and Analytical Skills School
Formerly known as ATS (Advanced Training Squadron), CLASS (Cadre Leadership and Analytical Skills School) is an opportunity for cadets to get real world leadership experience that relates to not only encampments, but also to activities at their home units, as well as the world outside of CAP. The curriculum for this school has evolved over the last 14 years and is a well-rounded small unit leadership course. Cadets will be challenged with theoretical leadership classes and real world scenario based exercises taught by Civil Air Patrol members, members of the armed forces, and civilian subject matter experts. CLASS cadets will have more freedom to make their own decisions than they experienced as a first year encampment student. With those freedoms however, come more responsibility and a higher expectation of excellence. While not required to serve as cadet cadre members at Encampment, successful graduates of the CLS will have a guaranteed slot on the cadet cadre should they choose to return in subsequent years.
In addition to the extra-curricular activities that the first year students partake in, CLASS cadets have the opportunity to participate in the following:
- Additional course work geared toward experienced cadets and prospective cadre members
- Small unit leadership
- Problem solving, critical thinking, and time management exercises
- Temporary leadership assignments within their class
- Extended training exercises away from the barracks and traditional classrooms
- Observing and evaluating Cadet Cadre and first year students
- Advanced drill and ceremonies instruction
- An optional overnight bivouac with nighttime leadership exercises and activities
- A possible transition to a cadet staff member as needed during the encampment
- Mentoring and assisting in instruction of the basic cadets in several courses
- Many more!
Capt John Wenzel is the Course director for CLASS. Capt Wenzel is a recipient of the General Carl A. Spaatz Award and currently serves on Wing Staff. He is a veteran of the Illinois Army National Guard and is a retired lieutenant with the Illinois State Police. Capt Wenzel brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the program that cannot be overstated.
Please visit the Information page on the left side of the screen for application instructions.